My Baby Bug, Danielle

My Baby Bug, Danielle

Monday, September 19, 2011

Forgive and Forget...only God is that great!

Recently, I posted something in Facebook that sparked a challenge to my thought process. I posted, "God commands us to forgive, he never said you had to forget the hurt. God is the only one that forgives and forgets wrongs." One of my friends that shall remain nameless to the blog argued that if we are truly living a Godly life then God lives through us and we should also forget the hurts, as well as, forgive. I understand where he was coming from in that we all should lead a Godly life as an example and I believe we do have the Holy Ghost living in us and Jesus said we would do things on earth greater than he did. However, we are only human, of the flesh and I believe that we as human beings we are not perfect, we are all flawed in some way. We can try to forget past hurts but I believe that remembering them helps us protect ourselves from future hurts as well.

When we forgive, we are releasing ourselves from bondage to the person that hurt us. We do it for us, not for them. When you reach the point where you have truly forgiven someone, when you think of the past hurts, it will no longer hurt you.

When you say the Lord's Prayer, as we all probably resighted from the time we could talk, as you read it, and it says "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." Think about that verse, do you really want God to forgive us the same way we forgive others? If you can't say yes than you need to work on your forgiveness skills.

I challenge each of you to consider these words as you forgive others. If you can forgive and forget, you should! However, if you are flawed like most of the world, our main goal is to forgive and move on. Don't hold onto the past hurts and move forward into a glorious relationship of love with everyone and especially God!

No comments:

Post a Comment